The last few days I've been out of town for a funeral and while I did make an effort to stay low carb, I did have some significant lapses. Also, between all of the visiting with relatives on both sides of the family and eating out at local restaurants, keeping up with MFP and this journaling just became too much, especially with homework to do in the little down time I had.
I'm now back home and buckling back down. Although intended for stalls, I've decided to do the 5-day egg fast as a way to kickstart myself back into keto and low carb eating. I'm generally following the guidelines and meal plan available on I Breathe, I'm Hungry.
The guidelines are:
- Bullet Proof Coffee within 30 minutes of waking (coffee with 1 Tbsp MCT oil, 1 Tbsp Kerrygold unsalted butter)
- Eat 3-5 meals of at least 2 eggs each, starting no later than 10am
- Have 1 Tbsp of butter or sugar free mayo per egg consumed
- 6 ounces of full fat cheese (cream cheese, cheddar, brie, etc.) allowed per day (eaten with eggs or separately as a snack)
- No eggs after 7pm (1 string cheese allowed after 7pm if starving, counts as part of the 6oz daily limit)
- Don’t go more than 4 hours between meals or snacks between 10am and 7pm.
- Drink 100 oz of water per day (minimum)
- Supplement with magnesium and potassium (lite salt) daily.
- Small amounts of fresh herbs, hot sauce, no carb sweeteners, and spices will be allowed – as long as they are less than 1g net carbs per serving, not to exceed 5g net carbs per day.
Day one of the Egg Fast went okay and, although I'm a little sick of eggs already and have been feeling nauseous half the day, I stuck to it without any deviations.
Breakfast was Bulletproof coffee, as stated. I got distracted catching up on work, so it was after 10 am when I had this and even later when I had my first meal, closer to noon than 10.
Breakfast, although listed as lunch, was a couple of fried eggs with lots of butter. I boiled some eggs at that time to have for later.
After I got off work, I used 3 of the boiled eggs to make some egg salad and ate half of what I made, saving the other half for another day. I also had some cheese with that, a slice that's cut into quarters and microwaved for 30 seconds and was actually quite tasty.
Later in the evening, for dinner, I made a batch of the cream cheese pancakes. The meal plan I'm following called for a buffalo crepe but I didn't have all the ingredients and am not a fan of "hot" so I subbed the pancakes from another day. The meal plan wasn't clear on how much to have, so I made 5 pancakes from the batch, saving one for another day (that specifically says to use one).
Along with that, I drank a LOT of water. I'm not exactly sure I met the 100 oz requirement but expect I have. I still feel thirsty and dehydrated so will probably have more before bed as well. I'll try to track that better tomorrow.
I did some shopping tonight, getting more eggs (organic) and some other necessities for this fast. I'm looking forward to trying more new recipes tomorrow.