I didn’t expect a blooming passion flower in November in Croatia. But I also didn’t expect that they grew to such large size in Europe – besides in botanical gardens. This one was growing like an unwanted weed on a wall at a parking spot. Passion flower have such beautiful blossoms and they come in such rich varieties. Funny thing, that the structure of the blossom is compared to the Passion of Jesus Christ.
This blue Passion Flower showing most elements of the Christian symbolism:
- Holy Lance: pointed tips of the leaves
- Whips (flagellation of Jesus): tendrils
- Ten faithful apostles (Peter the denier and Judas the betrayer are excluded): petals and sepals.
- Crown of thorns: radial filaments.
- Holy Grail/hammer: chalice-shaped ovary with its receptacle.
- Three nails: stigmas.
- Five wounds: anthers.
- Heaven and Purity: blue and white color.